Project title: Provide Quality Frontline Child Protection and Gender Based Violence Response (GBV) and Mitigation Services in Bama & Ngala LGAs of Borno State
Project Duration: December 2018 – November 2019.
Project Coverage: Bama and Ngala
This project aims to contribute to the overall protection of the most vulnerable children affected by the crisis, to ensure the availability of humanitarian services in response to the ongoing influx of new arrivals in Bama and Ngala LGAs of Borno State.
Objectives of the intervention
CHAD is improving the quality of both core and non-specialized Child Protection and Gender Base Violence (GBV) Services in order to support the resilience of boys, girls, and caregivers affected by the protracted crisis through;
|Provision of child Protection and Gender Base Violence (GBV) services including integrated case management services to Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC), and child survivor of GBV and sexual violence identified particularly during vulnerability screening at arrival centers in the two project LGAs|
|Provision of structured psychosocial support services (PSS) to vulnerable adolescent boys and girls (13-17yrs) through a peer-support initiative|
|Strengthen community engagement through CHAD’s existing Community Protection Structures (Community Base Child Protection Committee) as well as increased knowledge through community awareness on Child protection/GBV concerns|
The project activities aim to ensure case management, Structured Psychosocial support and Community engagement successfully achieved. Success recorded includes the following:
- Training of case workers and PSS facilitators on Case management, Basic PSS and Psychological First Aid (PFA).
- Advocacy visit and site mapping for identification of appropriate safe space for CFS, Child Protection and GBV case management.
Focus group discussion (FDGs) for need assessment.
- Construction of 2 safe spaces for, Psychosocial Support, Child protection and GBV case management.
- Successfully provided integrated Child Protection Case Management to UASC and other vulnerable, case management for survivors of GBV as well as provision of structured psychosocial support services to adolescent boys and girls.
- Successfully supported survivors of GBV as well as vulnerable girls and boys at risk of GBV with dignity kits.
- CHAD PSS component created an environment for children to come together as one and express themselves as they rebuild their lives.
- The PSS component has continuously strengthened children and adolescents with skills in multiple ways to regain their resilience.
- Through CHADs community outreach component, community members were enlightened and empowered with advocacy skills, and are now able to identify and liaise with schools, NGOs and INGOs in their location to promote coordination and referrals of child protection related issues.
- A manual, a picture story book and an audio version was developed by CHAD Intl were dispatched to both communities for use. The toolkit has been translated into three local languages (Hausa, Kanuri and Shuwa) and is currently being used successfully on the field.